Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fort Part 1

Last week I stumbled upon a really cool fort built as the headboard of a twin size bed. I looked at the specs and released it was nothing more then two shelves with a bunch of decorative things around it. I though why not, why can't I do something like that for the boys, Jason and I are handy with tools!! So came the idea to to utilize the closet in the boys room for for a fort. For the past three years we have done nothing with this particular closet other then collect junk in it.

Today I ran to Home Depot and bought five 2x4x6, one 1x12x96 shelf board, 8 L shape brackets, and a small box of 1 1/2 inch nails. Since we already had screws, paint, and one 1x12x96 shelf board we had everything we need to start my insane projects of trying to create a fort in a small closet. I used the left over paint from the living room to paint the closet. I still have to paint the door frame, but I need to buy more paint in the Buzz space dust.

This is after I painted the closet,
it only took almost a gallon of paint!!
The first 2x4 to be placed it is 3 feet long!!




We put boards on the wall to make a dash for
Donato's steering wheel!! We still have to put the 
wheel up and draw the dash on the wood.




We placed a 2x4 in each corner of the closet and then a 2x4
in front of the back legs and one flushed against the door jam.
We then put two 2x4's between the front and back boards.




Both Jason and I were afraid that this would not hold up
to jumping and such so we braced everything with these clips!!
At times it was hard to get them nailed in place because of the
positions, but it was well worth the time and anguish!!




I am not joking when I say I got on this thing and 
jumped and walked around. I wanted to make
sure it was not going to fall of move.




The first board being set into place!!




Gabriele showing us he can stand under the fort too!!




Gabriele on the top part of his fort!!!
Jason made the ladder as well!!




Gabriele was so excited, he claimed the top part
of the fort!! The top part of the fort is a little over
three feet off the ground!!




Donato claimed the bottom part of the fort!
You can see he was very excited about his new
play area!!




Gabriele 




Donato is not able to get up on the top of the fort
without help!! We made the latter hard enough
to keep him on the floor and not up in the top
part of the fort, not yet anyways!!




Donato and Gabriele




Gabriele showing off his new lights!!




We took some lights we had outside and hung them 
in the top part of the fort!




Donato and Gabriele holding his doggie!!




The lights in the top part of the fort!!



We still have a few more things to do before the fort is completed, but for the most part we did really well!! The boys want me to make pillows and Gabriele wants two shelves put in his part of the fort. I still have to place the steering wheel on the wall and draw the dash for Donato. I would like to also put a curtain up for Gabriele, but I need to find the right fabric. I also need to buy two of the click lights to go in Donato's part of the fort. I will post another set of pictures when everything is done next weekend!!

No comments: